Sunday, August 14, 2011

7, 16, 32, 33 - HUT!

I kinda broke my own rule here in the 2nd post no less! And I promised I'd never hurt you. But let's be honest, there's no saving that initial drawing of the Flash.
 

Flash has been one of my favorite DC characters since I picked up the series written by William Messner- Loebs, and drawn by Greg LaRoque back around 1990 I believe. I bought stacks and read them in about 2 days. Great stuff, and I highly recommend them. Up there with Ann Nocenti and John Romita Jr's Daredevil, which is just about the best run of any book.

These first 2 were drawn at ages 7 and 16 I believe. Maybe 17. And the 2nd two were drawn before and after I worked on some of the Justice League Unlimited comics. THAT was fun to work on. :D

Someone on another art site yrs ago wrote a HILARIOUS review of 3 old pieces of art I'd posted. The first one was of the Flash-


"The portrait of "the Flash" (arguably the best of the three) reveals some useful and insightful solutions to some common problems we all face when drawing heros. First and most noticably, what to do when you draw the thumb on the wrong side of the hand. The solution: hide it with a vibrant purple stroke! Adding color to an otherwise bland background always helps to catch the eye. Speaking of bland backgrounds, from this pic we can learn that a few light pencil strokes can subtly suggest speeds of up to 200mph! Also, a question is finally answered, one we've all contemplated but have been too afraid to ask — "What does Flash look like wearing football pads under his costume?" To wrap a piece together, a two-tone logo for your hero always helps - first two letters upper case, the rest lower."







2 comments:

Bink MMX said...

Love the blog idea (and the happy swirly orange background).
That Flash drawing from your teens is shockingly good--how effective is that distinctive shading? A lot.
I'm gonna have to really dig to find stuff from my teens to redraw...

Scott Cohn said...

i'm on my 3rd one now, and it's a lot of fun "writing wrongs". ha

are you kidding about the shading? i'm guessing yes. :D that figure is so out of proportion. if i saw THAT flash walking down the street, i'd get him some help.

can't wait to see!